Our system recommendations are these:
- Windows 10, Mac OS Mojave or newer, or Linux operating system with support for 64 bit architecture
- A GPU with Hardware Acceleration and full WebGL support
- 8GB of RAM
- A display resolution of at least 1080p
- Chrome or Firefox browsers at the most recent stable release.
- A Broadband Internet connection
Note: Due to feature improvements, our System Recommendations are subject to change at any point.
Roll20 is a web-based application. There are two primary considerations in regards to performance: speed of your network connection and your computer's ability to render graphics. If your system meets our recommendations and you are still experiencing problems, we recommend checking out our articles below. Or contact us so we can assist you!
Graphics Performance Troubleshooting Steps
- Try these if you are experiencing token dragging being slow, noticing slow downs while using Dynamic Lighting, or graphical glitches/artifacts.
Network Connection Troubleshooting Steps
- Try these if you are experiencing slow load times, seeing connection error notifications, or changes updating slowly.
Video and Voice Chat Troubleshooting Steps
- Try these if you are experiencing disconnections between players using Voice or Video chats, dropped or skipped frames, or high latency.
We do our best to ensure that Roll20 has as low network and graphical performance requirements as possible. If you or one of your players experience issues on our platform due to slow Internet speeds or older software/hardware, the above tips may help optimize performance on our platform.
Before we proceed with the rest of the document: Keep in mind that performance may vary for other people playing in your game. While a large map can be displayed without any problems with a new desktop system and a fast internet connection, an old laptop with a slow internet connection can lead to significant lag.
The popular grammar editor application Grammarly can cause performance issues on our VTT. We recommend disabling the extension before launching your game. For more information about other browser extensions please visit this article: Performance Issues - Steps to Troubleshoot Lag
In addition: Roll20 is not affiliated with, nor do we support, browser extensions such as Beyond20 or VTT Enhancement Suite.